frantic om

chaos and creativity

Sunday, April 02, 2006

new cells for the old ceremony


Scientists have been debating the issue of neurogenesis lately, on whether or not new neurons are created in adult brains. Like most, I was taught in school that we get a specific number of neurons and that's it. But new research suggest that creative, active environments do in fact stimulate new neuron growth in brains, and stressful non-stimulating environments inhibit growth and even destroy brain neurons.

I'm not surprised by this. Not at all. Having a moderate yoga practice I know from experience that my mind can be just as flexible and changing (or not) as my body. And when knitting a new pattern I do feel that those cable patterns in my dreams aren't just madness, but some new tiny piece of an everchanging puzzle settling itself into place.

So I wonder how many neurons were created while taking the Yantra workshop yesterday? I'm quite happy with my Saturn Yantra, even as I see its flaws (I'm not so focused!) I find it very harmonious as a whole. And the process of working one's own "hand" with precice geometric forms (in concentric clockwise circles as well) was a fascinating meditation in itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home